BASF Canada recognized for its Sustainability Leadership under CN EcoConnexions Partnership Program
The Program driven by CN celebrates companies committed to reducing their environmental footprint and contributing to a sustainable future
Mississauga, ON, Canada, May 19, 2021 – BASF has been recognized by CN, world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler, for its sustainability practices in Canada. The CN EcoConnexions Partnership Program celebrates CN’s customers and supply chain partners who are committed to reducing their environmental footprint and being part of the climate solution, building a more sustainable future.
“We are humbled to receive this recognition that acknowledges our efforts and achievements in sustainability in Canada,” said Apala Mukherjee, President, BASF Canada. “At BASF, we work continuously to further reduce the emissions and environmental impact of our operations, products and system solutions. However, to drive sustainability, we recognize the importance of partnering with companies who innovate and integrate sustainability into all they do, such as CN, that supports us in transporting our products in a more sustainable way.”
“The CN EcoConnexions Partnership Program recognizes BASF's commitment to a more sustainable future, and for CN, a sustainable future means thinking and acting in the interest of generations to come.” Said Janet Drysdale, Vice-President Sustainability at CN. “BASF demonstrates leadership through initiatives and quantitative goals to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, increase energy efficiency and reduce waste. BASF’s goals are aligned with the 2030 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and publicly reports on progress against these goals. CN is proud to recognize BASF's leadership in sustainability through its EcoConnections Partnership Program.”
BASF’s range of sustainability practices implemented to contribute to a world that provides value to society includes initiatives led by BASF Canada, as well as globally through BASF SE, such as:
· Contributing to clean revenue through Accelerator product sales, products within the BASF portfolio that contribute most to sustainability based on economic, environmental, and societal indicators
· Recichain, innovative plastics circularity pilot project that combines the power of blockchain with a digital badge and loop count technology, improving sorting, tracing, and monitoring of plastics throughout the value chain to enable a circular economy in Canada
· Supporting the Value Balancing Alliance, which aims to change the way companies report by introducing impact measurements that integrates sustainability reporting into accounting principles
· The Product Carbon Footprint (PCF), digital solution developed in-house, that helps to calculate and reduce the footprint for our entire product portfolio
· The purchase of Renewable Energy for BASF sites located in Western Canada, reducing C02 emissions footprint in Canada by 50%
· The joint agreement BASF signed recently with SABIC and Linde to develop the world’s first electrical heating concepts for steam crackers
BASF’s commitment to sustainability and environmental protection has earned the company other awards in Canada including the SDG Accelerator award granted by the Global Compact Network Canada for BASF’s outstanding efforts to advance action towards SDG #17: Partnership for the Goals; and the Top International Corporate Citizens award, granted by Corporate Knights to companies setting the standard for sustainability leadership in the country.
BASF Canada, headquartered in Mississauga, Ontario, has over 1,200 employees at production facilities and offices located across Canada. BASF Canada is a subsidiary of BASF SE, and an affiliate of BASF Corporation. To find out more about BASF’s activities in Canada, visit www.basf.com/ca or follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/basfcanada.
At BASF, we create chemistry for a sustainable future. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. More than 110,000 employees in the BASF Group contribute to the success of our customers in nearly all sectors and almost every country in the world. Our portfolio is organized into six segments: Chemicals, Materials, Industrial Solutions, Surface Technologies, Nutrition & Care and Agricultural Solutions. BASF generated sales of €59 billion in 2020. BASF shares are traded on the stock exchange in Frankfurt (BAS) and as American Depositary Receipts (BASFY) in the U.S. Further information at http://www.basf.com.
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada’s Eastern and Western coasts with the U.S. South through a 19,500-mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship.