Enzymes enable higher yields by improving fermentation
As global demand for energy continues to grow at unprecedented levels, bio-refineries worldwide are converting record volumes of biomass into fuel, feed and numerous other bio-based products. Driven by innovation, especially in a challenging economic environment, continuous improvement is a necessity in the ethanol and starch processing industries.
Leveraging our advanced technology, we create high-performance industrial enzymes uniquely suited for grain processing and ethanol production. We are committed to understanding the needs of our customers and to working closely with them to develop optimal solutions. By improving fermentation, enabling higher yields and more flexible process parameters, we help our customers attain greater overall efficiency. Together, we can realize a more sustainable future.
Key benefits of BASF enzymes:
Improve yeast health
Increase fuel ethanol yields
Speed up fermentation times
Provide a greater overall efficiency
Get to know our enzyme product portfolio:
Fuelzyme® 650 alpha-amylase is a next generation enzyme for starch liquefaction in the production of fuel ethanol as well as other fuel and industrial-use alcohols.
- Wide operating pH and temperature range
- Works synergistically with advanced yeast by reducing osmotic stress
- Reduces glucoamylase usage
- Enables a low pH process
- Provides effective liquefaction at a wide pH range increasing operational flexibility
- Increases fuel ethanol yields due to improved starch conversion
High activity glucoamylase for fuel ethanol production:
- Contains standardized enzyme side activities that improve fermentation performance
- Offers demonstrated high ethanol yields at industrial scale
- Operates over a broad pH and temperature range
- Offers demonstrated improved ethanol yields when used in combination with Fuelzyme® alpha-amylase
- Competitively priced while providing superior performance
High activity protease for fuel ethanol production:
Fuelpro™ acid protease is a processing aid used for grain-based fuel ethanol production and which works to hydrolyze proteins into amino acids under low pH conditions.
- Faster fermentation times
- Reduced urea or ammonia usage
- Reduced use of emulsion breakers
- Improved corn oil production
- Improved ethanol yield
Xylathin® HT is a new, highly active xylanase that rapidly degrades xylan to reduce viscosity in cereal-based mashes used in the production of fuel ethanol.
- Broad operating pH & temperature range
- Low effective dose
- Superior viscosity reduction
- Broad temperature and pH range
- Reduced water retention in DDGS
Broad operating pH and temperature range
Fueltase™ HT Phytase is utilized during fermentation to liberate free phosphorus from naturally occurring phytic acid during production of ethanol.
- Improves yeast health by increasing free phosphorus
- Improves DDGS quality by decreasing phytic acid
- Increases ethanol yields by liberating starch bound to phytic acid
Chemicals for biofuel production:
For use in fuel ethanol production:
Lutropur® MSA is a high purity methanesulfonic acid. Methanesulfonic acid is a strong and odorless organic acid with a unique property profile that distinguishes it from all other acids.
- Generally regarded as safe (GRAS)
- Free of nitrogen, phosphorus and halogens
- Stronger acid than sulfamic acid, and therefore more effective at cleaning
- Lutropur® MSA is a liquid (aqueous solution, 70% MSA by weight), and thus easier to use than solid sulfamic acid
- Readily biodegradable, making it an environmentally friendly acid
- Lutropur® MSA can be stored easily and is stable, whereas sulfamic acid breaks down into ammonium bisulfate
TM or ® signifies a trademark or registered trademark of BASF Enzymes LLC or BASF SE in several countries.