BASF showcases innovative materials to make flat panel displays more flexible, colorful and energy efficient
- Innovative materials optimize process and enable better design and function for displays
- Touch Taiwan 2017: Sept 20-22 at booth M1219, 4/F Nangang Exhibition Center, Taipei
Taipei, Taiwan - September 20, 2017 - At Touch Taiwan 2017 from September 20-22, BASF will showcase a wide range of high performance, innovative solutions that help make flat panel displays more flexible, colorful and energy efficient.
“With the rapid development of panel industry technology, the ever-increasing consumer demand for the touch panel market, including high resolution screens, and mobile and wearable display devices, is compelling Taiwanese manufacturers to find ways to make their design and production processes more competitive, at a global level,” said Kin Wah Chay, Managing Director of BASF Taiwan.
“BASF’s innovative materials are geared not only towards improving display resolution, but also enabling a high level of design flexibility and process optimization, while reducing energy consumption to meet the sustainability goals of our customers,” added Chay.
BASF solutions for the flat panel display industries include:
- BASF’s high performance, ready-to-use printable organic semiconductor, dielectric inks and auxiliary material inks enable displays that are not only robust, but flexible, as they can be processed on plastic films. Compared to conventional display backplane manufacturing processes, the processes to coat or print semiconductor and dielectric inks are significantly simpler and do not require high temperature curing. The typical deposition processes are close to standard printing and coating processes.
- Silver nanowires are becoming the alternative to indium tin oxide (ITO) for transparent conductive layers. With its unique properties, such as higher conductivity and flexibility, BASF’s silver nanowires improve the sensitivity and transparency of touch panels, which in turn reduce the power consumption and enhance the brightness of screen.
- BASF’s advanced color converting technology can improve the efficiency and achieve a wider color gamut of displays. This improves light uniformity and color rendering index of LED lighting, and also reveals real colors of objects.
- Catamold® is a ready-to-use material for metal injection molding (MIM) with economic and technical benefits. It allows metal to be molded like plastic, enabling large volume MIM for electronic industry applications, such as middle frames of high end smart phones. With Catamold, geometrically complex metallic parts can be economically manufactured easily and reliably. This enhances the accuracy for the precision parts molding, thereby increasing the productivity for electronic devices manufacturing.
- Highly elastic thermoplastic polyurethane from BASF offers excellent mechanical properties, high design flexibility of appearance and color, as well as the potential for haptic optimization. It is applicable to wearable devices, such as VR devices and sport watch straps, as it does not cause skin irritation and sensitivity.
About BASF Greater China
BASF has been a committed partner to Greater China since 1885. With major investments in Shanghai, Nanjing and Chongqing, BASF is the largest foreign investor in China’s chemical industry, and maintains the BASF Asia Pacific Innovation Campus (Shanghai) as a global and regional research and development hub. BASF posted sales of €5.9 billion in 2016 to customers in Greater China, and employed 8,805 people as of the end of that year. For further information, please visit www.basf.com.
At BASF, we create chemistry for a sustainable future. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. The approximately 114,000 employees in the BASF Group work on contributing to the success of our customers in nearly all sectors and almost every country in the world. Our portfolio is organized into five segments: Chemicals, Performance Products, Functional Materials & Solutions, Agricultural Solutions and Oil & Gas. BASF generated sales of about €58 billion in 2016. BASF shares are traded on the stock exchanges in Frankfurt (BAS), London (BFA) and Zurich (BAS). Further information at www.basf.com.