Legal structure and organization of BASF Group
Our 12 divisions are aggregated into four segments based on their business models. The divisions bear operational responsibility and are organized according to sectors or products. They manage our 54 global and regional business units and develop strategies for the 86 strategic business units.
Our regional units are responsible for optimizing local infrastructure, and contribute to tapping our market potential. For financial reporting purposes, we organize the regional divisions into four regions: Europe; North America; Asia Pacific; South America, Africa, Middle East.
Seven functional units and seven corporate units support the BASF Group’s business activities. The functional and corporate units provide services in areas such as finance, investor relations, communications, human resources, engineering and site management, as well as environmental protection, health and safety. Our global research units safeguard our innovative capacity and competitiveness.
Business processes such as the procurement of raw materials and services, production and transport to customers are the shared responsibility of the divisions and the functional units.
Our New Segment Structure
We will introduce a new segment structure with higher performance and market orientation effective January 1, 2019. It will increase transparency regarding the development of our businesses, the importance of value chains and the role of our Verbund. The new structure consists of six segments:
- Industrial Solutions
- Surface Technologies
- Nutrition & Care
- Agricultural Solutions
- North America
- Asia Pacific
- South America, Africa, Middle East
- Advanced Materials & Systems Research
- Bioscience Research
- Digitalization in Research & Development
- Innovation Management
- Process Research & Chemical Engineering
- Engineering & Maintenance
- Environmental Protection, Health & Safety
- Human Resources
- Legal, Taxes, Insurance & Intellectual Property
- Supply Chain Operations & Information Services
- Corporate Audit
- Corporate Communications & Government Relations
- Corporate Controlling
- Corporate Development
- Corporate Technology & Operational Excellence
- Investor Relations
- Senior Executive Human Resources