Business success tomorrow means creating value for the environment, society and business. We have set ourselves new financial and nonfinancial targets so that our customers, investors, employees and other stakeholders can track our progress.
We want to grow faster than the market and thus be economically successful and profitable. Furthermore, we want to provide answers to the most pressing challenges of our time. To combat climate change and global warming, we have committed ourselves to growing production volumes without adding further CO2 emissions until 2030. This means we will decouple greenhouse gas emissions from organic growth. We have also defined targets for a sustainable product portfolio, responsible procurement and engaged employees. Safety for people and the environment, inclusion of diversity and water management will remain a top priority.
- Grow sales volumes faster than global chemical production every year
- Increase EBITDA before special items by 3% to 5% per year
- Achieve a return on capital employed (ROCE) 1 considerably above the cost of capital percentage every year
- Increase the dividend per share every year based on a strong free cash flow
- Grow CO2-neutrally until 2030
- Achieve €22 billion in Accelerator sales 2 by 2025
- Cover 90% of our relevant spend 3 with sustainability evaluations, and have 80% of our suppliers improve their sustainability performance upon re-evaluation
- More than 80% of our employees feel that at BASF, they can thrive and perform at their best
Existing nonfinancial targets
- Reduce the worldwide lost-time injury rate per 200,000 working hours to ≤0.1 by 2025
- Reduce worldwide process safety incidents per 200,000 working hours to ≤0.1 by 2025
- Introduce sustainable water management at all production sites in water stress areas and at all Verbund sites by 2030
- Increase the proportion of women in leadership positions with disciplinary responsibility to 22–24% by 2021
1 Return on capital employed (ROCE) is a measure of the profitability of our operations. We calculate this indicator as the EBIT generated by the segments as a percentage of the average cost of capital basis.
2 Accelerator products are products that make a substantial sustainability contribution in the value chain.
3 We understand relevant spend as procurement volumes with suppliers defined as relevant.