First concept shoe made entirely from sustainable BASF materials co-created with design house Maddy Plant
Developed using advanced manufacturing capabilities
Taiwan – August 5, 2022 – BASF and footwear design house Maddy Plant have collaborated to explore the possibilities of BASF’s innovative material solutions and use industry-leading technologies that enable energy-efficient production, for its concept athleisure shoe ‘MADGAMMA - Intertekk Saturn’.
“The concept shoe features our winning ideas to make footwear sustainable and at the same time high performing. Our ambition is to bring these advanced technologies into mainstream footwear production,” said Minli Zhao, Vice President, Consumer Industry, Asia Pacific, BASF Performance Materials.
Sustainable materials ensure winning performance
Key features of the MADGAMMA - Intertekk Saturn are:
- Upper of the shoe made with the 100% recyclable monofilament fiber Freeflex™ thermoplastic polyurethane (TPU): Freeflex conforms to the foot using minimal seams and stitch lines to provide superior comfort and maximum performance. It is also lightweight. Additionally, its transparency enables design flexibility.
- Tongue of the shoe made of polyethylene terephthalate (PET) fiber knitted with Freeflex TPU elastic fiber: Freeflex TPU elastic fiber is used as an alternative to dry spandex for its soft stretch performance. It is eco-friendly as it is made without organic solvents and uses cost-efficient manufacturing processes.
- Replaceable midsole made with the lightweight, high-rebound, and bio-based Elastopan® N polyurethane (PU) series: Compared to conventional midsoles, the PU is made with bio-circular material, providing superior cushioning and durability while being more sustainable. Another replaceable midsole option is made with TPU foaming, which has a lower density, high energy return, and is recyclable. With the replaceable midsoles, users can choose a midsole for different occasions – the lightweight and high-rebound Elastopan midsole for sports performance or the TPU foaming midsole for casual wear.
- Shank of the shoe made with bio-based Elastollan® N TPU series comprising 35% bio-content: Elastollan provides great stiffness and complements high-performance sport shoe components such as the torsion system for improved stability.
- Outsole and cage made with bio-based Elastopan PU: The outsole made with Elastopan incorporates a high-grip tread pattern to optimize traction and provide maximum surface contact. The high-performance material also consists of 30% bio-content.
MADGAMMA is an emerging footwear brand by Maddy Plant – a footwear design house – that combines technology and creativity. We hope to arouse the public's thinking about wearing technology through shoes and at the same time pay attention to how technology can be used in it while exploring the infinite possibilities of shoes in the future together with consumers. MADGAMMA adheres to the brand spirit of "freedom to create", and stimulates the imagination and creativity of the public through innovative product technology and futuristic design, so as to encourage everyone to maintain free imagination and explore freely no matter what field they are in. Just like a crazy gamma, MADGAMMA represents exploration and energy, hoping to bring crazy subversion to the industry and give consumers an unimaginable experience.
At BASF, we create chemistry for a sustainable future. We combine economic success with environmental protection and social responsibility. Around 111,000 employees in the BASF Group contribute to the success of our customers in nearly all sectors and almost every country in the world. Our portfolio comprises six segments: Chemicals, Materials, Industrial Solutions, Surface Technologies, Nutrition & Care and Agricultural Solutions. BASF generated sales of €78.6 billion in 2021. BASF shares are traded on the stock exchange in Frankfurt (BAS) and as American Depositary Receipts (BASFY) in the U.S. Further information at www.basf.com.
About BASF’s Performance Materials division
BASF’s Performance Materials division encompasses the entire materials’ know-how of BASF regarding innovative, customized plastics under one roof. Globally active in four major industry sectors – transportation, construction, industrial applications and consumer goods – the division has a strong portfolio of products and services combined with deep understanding of application-oriented system solutions. Key drivers of profitability and growth are our close collaboration with customers and a clear focus on solutions. Strong capabilities in R&D provide the basis to develop innovative products and applications. In 2021, the Performance Materials division achieved global sales of €7.29 bn. More information: www.plastics.basf.com.