BASF Textile Marketplace: We create chemistry that makes fashion love sustainability
- Showcases sustainable solutions for textile industry
- Innovations to improve efficiency without compromising on performance
Shanghai, China - October 22, 2014 – BASF showcased a wide range of innovative solutions for the Chinese textile market at BASF Textile Marketplace in Shanghai, China on October 22nd, 2014. BASF products and solutions help customers from the fast-moving fashion and textile industry to achieve flexible, cost-efficient and safe production with uncompromising performance.
“While we have recently announced the divestment of the textile chemicals business to Archroma, BASF remains committed to the textile industry by developing innovative solutions and new applications for different textile processing steps for the future,” said Dr. Zheng Daqing, Senior Vice President, Business & Market Development Greater China, BASF. “The BASF Textile Marketplace underlines our commitment to support the sustainable development of the China textile industry by closely engaging our customers and partners to develop leading technologies and integrated solutions.”
BASF offers customized products and solutions for the textile industry, from agrochemicals for crop protection for cotton growers, monomers and additives for the production of synthetic fibers, to formic acid, which is a cost-efficient acid in reducing water treatment cost during the textile processing. With the theme of “We create chemistry that makes fashion love sustainability”, 12 interactive booths provided a stage for BASF experts to discuss with our customers about solutions from functional textiles and processing quality to innovation and sustainability.
At the Marketplace, BASF showcased some new applications of its innovations for the Chinese textile industry for the first time:
- Melt-spun elastic fiber made from an innovative grade of Elastollan® thermoplastics polyurethanes elastomers can be directly used in the bare yarn knitting process without first needing to be covered with polyethylene terephthalate or polyamide yarn; this improves productivity of the textile production process.
- High performance Ultramid® polyamide allows fibers to achieve deeper shades and improve color fastness in fabrics dyeing. Without any increase in the consumption of dyestuff and minor process adjustment, it can significantly reduce dye bath residues, hence also reducing waste water.
- Zetag® ULTRA is an ultra-high molecular weight cationic powder flocculant range for solid/liquid separation in industrial and municipal waste water treatment. With ULTRA, cost is saved for the dewatering process and transport. Return load on sludge treatment process is reduced and less energy is required for incineration.
- Renewable 1,4-Butanediol (biobased BDO) and biobased succinic acid (BBSA) produced from renewable feedstock is now available from BASF. Both products offer a better CO2 profile compared to industry averages from fossil resources. Elastic fiber (spandex) and copolyester fibers can now be made available with a high content of renewables. BBSA is produced by Succinity®, a joint venture of BASF with Corbion Purac.
- Formic Acid is a cost saving and environmentally compatible acid in textile processing. Less formic acid is sufficient in textile processing to achieve identical results for neutralizing alkalis when compared to acetic acid and citric acid. The Chemical Oxygen Demand of formic acid is three times lower compared to acetic acid in the textile processing which significantly reduces water treatment costs by up to 50%.
- AgCelence®, an upcoming innovative product range for cotton which supports cotton farmers by providing better uptake of nitrogen fertilizer, higher quality fiber and improved harvest efficiency.
- BASF functional colorant Lumogen® Black is a high performance near-infrared (NIR) transparent black pigment with excellent heat stability, high blackness and color strength. Deep or black color fibers mass-colored with Lumogen® Black do not absorb NIR radiation and avoid heat build-up in fabric. As a result, the fabric stays cooler and comfortable under sunlight.
Working together with partners along the textile value chain, BASF is constantly developing sustainable solutions for the future. This event also brings textile industry players from around the world and leading brand retailers together for discussion and excellent networking, enabling customers to understand more about the key market trends, outlooks, challenges and regulations impacting the region.