This assurance report is issued for purposes of the Management of BASF SE, Ludwigshafen, only. Our assignment for the Management of BASF SE, Ludwigshafen, and professional liability is governed by the General Engagement Terms for Wirtschaftsprüfer and Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaften (Allgemeine Auftragsbedingungen für Wirtschaftsprüfer und Wirtschaftsprüfungsgesellschaften) in the version dated January 1, 2017 (https://www.kpmg.de/bescheinigungen/lib/aab_english.pdf). By reading and using the information contained in this assurance report, each recipient confirms notice of provisions of the General Engagement Terms (including the limitation of our liability for negligence to € 4 million as stipulated in No. 9) and accepts the validity of the General Engagement Terms with respect to us.
(1) For legally required services by German Public Auditors, in particular audits, the respective legal limitations of liability, in particular the limitation of liability pursuant to § 323 Abs. 2 HGB, apply.
(2) Insofar neither a statutory limitation of liability is applicable, nor an individual contractual limitation of liability exists, the liability of the German Public Auditor for claims for damages of any other kind, except for damages resulting from injury to life, body or health as well as for damages that constitute a duty of replacement by a producer pursuant to § 1 ProdHaftG [German Product Liability Act: Produkthaftungsgesetz], for an individual case of damages caused by negligence is limited to € 4 million pursuant to §54 a Abs. 1 Nr. 2 WPO.
(3) The German Public Auditor is entitled to invoke demurs and defenses based on the contractual relationship with the engaging party also towards third parties.
(4) When multiple claimants assert a claim for damages arising from an existing contractual relationship with the German Public Auditor due to the German Public Auditor's negligent breach of duty, the maximum amount stipulated in paragraph 2 applies to the respective claims of all claimants collectively.
(5) An individual case of damages within the meaning of paragraph 2 also exists in relation to a uniform damage arising from a number of breaches of duty. The individual case of damages encompasses all consequences from a breach of duty regardless of whether the damages occurred in one year or in a number of successive years. In this case, multiple acts or omissions based on the same source of error or on a source of error of an equivalent nature are deemed to be a single breach of duty if the matters in question are legally or economically connected to one another. In this event the claim against the German Public Auditor is limited to € 5 million. The limitation to the fivefold of the minimum amount insured does not apply to compulsory audits required by law.
(6) A claim for damages expires if a suit is not filed within six months subsequent to the written refusal of acceptance of the indemnity and the engaging party has been informed of this consequence. This does not apply to claims for damages resulting from scienter, a culpable injury to life, body or health as well as for damages that constitute a liability for replacement by a producer pursuant to § 1 ProdHaftG. The right to invoke a plea of the statute of limitations remains unaffected."