Diversity + Inclusion at BASF
Our promise to our customers, industry, society and each other is to deliver our best.
We can only do that by being open to the full range of experiences and perspectives that our differences provide.. Diversity + Inclusion are cornerstones of our corporate values: creativity, openness, responsibility, and entrepreneurial spirit.
BASF’s Diversity + Inclusion programs foster an inclusive workplace encouraging real engagement among all our employees to help us deliver on our aspiration to be the leading chemical company for our customers.
At BASF, we all belong to something bigger. #belongatBASF
Accountability starts at the top. BASF understands Diversity + Inclusion are business enablers – that’s why we track and share our progress quarterly in:
- Creating and executing business unit plans to drive Inclusion
- Each business unit having an Inclusion Champion to amplify our efforts
- Supporting a clear path to 'get the basics right' when it comes to the infrastructure, facilities, and work practices foundational to D+I
- Owning accountability for results in company Inclusion surveys
- 50% of candidates interviewed for roles must be diverse, and 50% of the people doing the interviewing at BASF must be diverse
BASF’s Diversity + Inclusion strategy is championed through a Diversity + Inclusion Council that also serves as an Inclusion Steering Committee on the BASF North American Leadership Team.
We're All Accountable
An inclusive work environment that values the diversity of our employees’ talents, experiences and ideas leads to more innovation and higher performance for our customers. BASF’s focus on people has helped establish a culture that attracts, develops and retains diverse talent.
How We Advance D+I
From key partnerships with universities and associations to employee resources groups, mentorship, and work in the community, BASF is not just talking the talk – it is walking the walk of a diverse and inclusive workplace.
We seek the best talent from all sources – leading universities, business connections, trade associations, national diversity conferences, partnerships to hire veterans, and referrals from our own employees.
- Specific degree programs at Brazosport College; Lamar Institute of Technology; Lamar State College; Lee College; Lone Star College; River Parishes Community College; San Jacinto College; Texas A&M; and the University of Houston
- Historically Black Colleges and Universities such as North Carolina Agricultural & Technical University
- American Chemical Society, American Institute of Chemical Engineers, Texas Early Science Education and Texas Alliance for Minorities in Engineering (TAME)
Other Association Partnerships & Programs
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE), the Society of Asian Scientists and Engineers, the Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers, Society of Women Engineers, INROADS, National Association of Manufacturers and The Manufacturing Institute
- STEP (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Production) Ahead initiative, which serves to mentor and recognize women while also leading research efforts to address the underrepresentation of women in manufacturing
Engaging our Workforce
BASF sets ambitious targets in all areas, and employee engagement is no different. Our compelling total offer, you@BASF, features a wide range of offerings that empower employees to live their best lives and do their best work, from competitive benefits and compensation, to robust learning and development opportunities, to a safe, inclusive and inspiring work environment.
We believe employee engagement is so important that last year we set a global non-financial target that more than 80% of our employees feel they can thrive and perform at their best at BASF – which we will track on an annual basis and report publicly.
Engaging Our Communities
At BASF, our commitment to a sustainable future includes creating chemistry in the communities in which we live and work. The kind of chemistry that brings people together to work toward a healthy and successful future.
Recognition for Our Commitment
Our diversity and inclusion initiatives continue to earn recognition from leading organizations and publications.