Natural Sciences & Research
Set new standards in Research & Development.
Are you eager to put your scientific knowledge into practice beyond the walls of a university classroom? Then become part of our interdisciplinary, global team and work with us on new products and pioneering technologies as well as modern manufacturing processes for a sustainable future. Above all, your initiative and personal responsibility are required - because we look forward to fresh ideas and new approaches to the challenges of tomorrow. Together, we develop innovative solutions that contribute to the success of our customers around the world and lead to a better quality of life on our planet.
Our three global research divisions are run from our key regions – Europe, Asia Pacific and North America. Together with the development units in our operating divisions, they form the core of our global Know-How Verbund. We had approximately 10,000 employees involved in research and development worldwide in 2020. Our global network of outstanding universities, research institutes and companies forms an important part of our Know-How Verbund. With our eight academic research alliances, we bundle collaborations with several research groups in a region or on a specific research focus. These are supplemented by collaborations with around 250 universities and research institutions as well as cooperation with numerous companies.
Are you ready?
Then at BASF you can put your learned theory into practice in the following areas:
The basic requirement is that you have not yet completed a degree in the field of natural sciences.
In addition, you are open to new things and enjoy scientific and technical issues, which you approach with determination and solve with your own creative ideas. With us, you will work in an interdisciplinary team with the support of experienced colleagues.
You should also be able to communicate in English and bring 3 to 6 months of time to do research side by side with our experts on a current project.
As a student of natural sciences, you have the opportunity to get to know BASF as part of an internship or thesis.
An internship is possible, for example, in one of our global research areas:
- Advanced Materials & Systems Research - here we create solutions e.g. for the automotive, construction, detergents & cleaners, water and wind industries.
- Process Research & Chemical Engineering - here we develop processes for the production of basic chemicals, intermediates and fine chemicals
- Bioscience Research - here we search for new crop protection agents and develop resource-saving processes and methods to increase agricultural productivity and meet the need for healthy nutrition
We also offer exciting practical insights into Crop Protection in our Agricultural Solutions division.
Alternatively, you can apply your knowledge in our functions and central units - for example in product development, technical marketing or human resources.
As a part of your internship, you will work independently on a research project or enrich one of our teams in our functions and central units, depending on your area of assignment.
In research and development, you will contribute to simulations of new products that are indispensable for society all over the world. With your work, you contribute directly to the solutions of the challenges of our time. For example, the following areas of responsibility await you:
- Synthesis and development of new substances for crop protection agents, polymers, effect substances or catalysts
- Development of new processes for the production of basic chemicals, intermediates, plastics or active ingredients
- Biocatalysis and biotechnological processes for the production of fine chemicals
- Research and development in the field of agricultural engineering
- Application and development of physical measuring methods in analytics
Great! Then take a look at our job search for suitable positions - in Germany or worldwide! Online applications via our portal simplify and speed up the process. If there is nothing suitable at the moment, you can register in our applicant portal and sign up for our job agent. It is also possible to import your profile data directly from LinkedIn or XING into our portal. We look forward to receive your application!